Slow-cooked Texas pulled pork
This dish is an absolute hit with my husband, who is always more than happy to comply and to get the slow cooker out and whack all the ingredients together to make this. It is perfect for a lazy day at home when you know you are not going anywhere and have 5 or 6 hours to leave the slow cooker to do its thing. A great Sunday dinner! We have had this in wraps with rice and guacamole, in burger buns with a nice bit of Cheddar and even with some plain boiled rice - super-versatile and very moreish.
Makes: 6 servings
- Chuck all the ingredients into a slow cooker and cook for at least 5.5 hours on the high setting. Stir through and mix halfway.
- Shred the pork with two forks (it should fall apart easily if cooked properly) when it is ready and serve either in buns or with salsa and guacamole in tortilla wraps.
- 1 tsp vegetable oil, or olive oil
- 1 kg pork shoulder roast (other fatty cuts could work)
- 1 cup (250 ml) any bottled BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) hot chicken broth
- 1/4 cup light brown
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcester sauce
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 extra large onion, chopped roughly
- 2 large cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1.5 tsp dried thyme